Sponsored by Nintendo
WELCOME TO THE SAMSUNG ARTIK CLOUD. CONNECT EVERYTHING!
The Samsung ARTIK Cloud Challenge. Let’s get started:
- Create a free account on Hackster.io (if you are not already a member).
- Register to participate in the ARTIK Cloud for IoT challenge.
- Sign up for a Samsung ARTIK Cloud account on our developer site.
- Try our “Hello World!” tutorial to connect a simulated device to Samsung ARTIK Cloud.
- Check out some of our great developer tools, sample code, and in-depth tutorials!
- For additional support, sign up for our Webinar Office Hours or email us email@example.com.
Control devices with Rules:
Have your devices and applications interacting in just a few clicks. First, connect some devices to Samsung ARTIK Cloud (see step 4, above). Then read this article to learn how to define Rules that control them, all within your web browser.
Talk to third-party clouds with Cloud Connectors:
What if your device already sends data to its own cloud? Have ARTIK Cloud talk to your device’s cloud! Learn how Cloud Connectors work, and let silos be a thing of the past.
You may also find the following tutorials helpful:
Win the Grand Prize:
- Using Samsung ARTIK Cloud, build a new IoT application that connects two (2) devices and/or cloud services from our “Works with ARTIK Cloud” list or “Most Wanted” list.
- Add at least one (1) Rule to create a smart interaction between the devices and/or services.
- Write 1-2 paragraphs about how your application addresses the Challenge on its category.
- Provide a link to your code repository (e.g. GitHub), or submit your code on the Hackster.io project page.
- Submit instructions on how to run your application. Include links to any open source code you may have used to complete your application.
- Submit a short video (2-5 minutes) demonstrating your application’s functionality.
- Provide us with the email you used to register on Hackster.io and developer.artik.cloud.
Win a Grand Prize in one of the 4 following categories:
- Best Personal Tracking/Wearables application
- Best Transportation application
- Best Community/Smart City application
- Best Smart Home application
All project submissions must use the Samsung ARTIK Cloud development platform.
Winners are selected based on the following criteria:
- Creativity of Project (15 points)
- The project must demonstrate originality in addressing the Monthly Challenge theme
- Project Documentation (10 points)
- Project must be thoroughly documented, including links to any open source code
- Code (50 Points)
- Code implementation must be functional and contain helpful comments
- User Experience (15 points)
- The application must demonstrate a high level of usability, with consideration given to design
- Video (10 points)
- The 2-5 minute video must clearly explain how the application works and addresses the Monthly Challenge theme
You can also win a weekly bounty prize:
- Start: Create a new “device type” (here are some ideas), then connect one instance of the device type to Samsung ARTIK Cloud.
- Submit: Send an email with submission proof to firstname.lastname@example.org with Subject ARTIK Cloud
- Bonus: Create a short, informal video of your work.
- Bounty: We will be giving $100 cash prizes to 2 winners, every week!
Stay tuned for more information about our Samsung ARTIK Cloud Google Hangout Office hours!
Contestants must (a) be at least 16 years of age, (b) be a resident of a country other than Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan or Syria, (c) not be involved in the execution or administration of the Contest, and (d) not be an employee (or the immediate family member or a household member of an employee) of Hackster.io, or Samsung Semiconductor, Inc. (“Samsung”) or a Samsung affiliate. Contestants are referred to as “you,” and Hackster, Samsung, and Samsung’s affiliates are collectively referred to herein as “we” or “us.”
To be eligible for judging, an entry must meet all of the following content and technical requirements:
- Contestants must create a free Hackster.io account and register as a participant for this contest.
- Contestants must create an account on ARTIK Cloud to build a working submission.
- Contestant must submit their Samsung ARTIK Cloud project as well as deliverables listed below (via the Hackster.io project template).
- ARTIK Cloud account email must match your Hackster.io account
- Contestant must submit their project on this contest page by filling out the form “Submit my final entry.”
- All ideas must be submitted in the English language.
- Each entry must be the contestants’ own original work.
- Entries cannot have been selected as a winner in any other contest.
- Contestants must have obtained any and all consents, approvals or licenses required for you to submit your entry.
- Entries may not include any third party trademarks (logos, names) or copyrighted materials (music, images, video, recognizable people) unless you have obtained permission to use the materials.
Additional requirements if submitting the grand prize project (if applicable):
- Each project must be fully documented on Hackster.io per the “project” template.
- Each final project must be submitted as within the projects template.
- Each final project must consist of the following materials:
- Code (For Grand Prize Challenges)
- Video (2-5 minutes long)
Samsung and Hackster will judge all entries and select winners based on the following criteria:
Grand Prize Project:
- Creativity (15 points)
- Project Documentation (10 Points)
- Code – Include working code with helpful comments (50 Points)
- User Experience (15 Points)
- 2-5 min Video (10 points)
Weekly Bounty: Project:
- Connecting a device (50)
- Short Video (50 points)
Unless specified differently in a particular bounty and monthly challenge (individual challenge prizes may vary the top entries for each bounty and monthly challenge will receive prizes as follows:
- 100 X $100 “Bounty” for implementing the ‘most wanted connections’;
- Grand Prize – Best Personal Tracking/Wearable Application: $1,000.00 USD cash prize + $500 USD worth of ARTIK Cloud credits (applied to one device type)+ a Samsung ARTIK 5 Developer Kit + Samsung Gear S2
- Grand Prize – Best Transportation Application: $1,000 Cash + $500 ARTIK Credits + ARTIK 5 Board + Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge Phone + Gear VR
- Grand Prize – Best Community/Smart City Application: $1,000 Cash + $500 ARTIK Credits + ARTIK 5 Board + Samsung Gear 360
- Grand Prize – Best Smart Home Application cation: $1,000 Cash + $500 ARTIK Credits + ARTIK 5 Board + Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge Phone
At Samsung’s discretion, entries may also receive:
- Promotion in Samsung’s web and social channels;
- Co-marketing through partners (depending on project)
- Assistance in creating a case study (blog) and having a video developed of the project
We have the right to make a Prize substitution of equivalent or greater value. We will not award a Prize if there are no eligible submissions entered in the applicable Challenge, or if there are no eligible contestants or submissions for the applicable Challenge.
How to enter
Here’s how to Participate in the Contest:
- Create a free Hackster.io account
- Register to participate in the contest
- Create an ARTIK Cloud (“AC”) account (registered AC email that matches your Hackster.io account;
- Submit your project to Hackster.
For Bounty Prizes:
- For ideas on what to connect, see the “Let’s build the largest network of clouds” list or the “Works with ARTIK Cloud” list of devices and cloud services.
- Create a new “device type”, then connect the instance of the device type to Samsung ARTIK Cloud.
- Submit a short, informal video of your success: Show that you logged into your developer.artik.cloud account, created a device type and connected the instance in Samsung ARTIK Cloud.
- Provide us with the email you used to register on Hackster.io and developer.artik.cloud.
For Grand Prize Challenges
- Using ARTIK Cloud, build a new IoT app that connects 2 devices from our “what works” list and that solves the monthly theme.
- Add at least 1 rule to show the interaction between devices.
- Write a paragraph or 2 on how your app addresses the monthly challenge.
- Provide a link to your code repository or submit your code on the Hackster site.
- Write instructions on how to run your application (Also include open source code you may have used to complete your application).
- Submit a short video of your application in action (2-5 minutes)
Project Submissions Should Include:
- Project Documentation
- Short Video
- Source code
Note: Judges are not required to test any submission. However, we reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to require access to the Submission for testing and validation purposes. Access for testing is not required at the time of submission. However, if your submission is considered for a Prize, you may be required to demonstrate the functionality of your solution either in-person or via a remote demonstration session prior to the announcement of the Prize winners.
Brought to you by Hackster.io, a skill based contest. The object of this contest is to demonstrate the simplicity of building IoT apps and connecting devices using Samsung ARTIK Cloud.
For purposes of this Contest, each solution and idea you create and submit in the Contest will be called an “entry.” All eligible entries received will be judged using the criteria described below to determine the winners of the prizes described below.
CAN I ENTER?
Your entry must be your own original work; and your entry cannot have been selected as a winner in any other contest; and you must have obtained any and all consents, approvals or licenses required for you to submit your entry; and your entry may not include any third party trademarks (logos, names) or copyrighted materials (music, images, video, recognizable people) unless you are authorized to use the materials.
Entries may NOT contain, as determined by us, in our sole and absolute discretion, any content that is: sexually explicit, unnecessarily violent or derogatory of any ethnic, racial, gender, religious, professional or age group; profane or pornographic; promotes alcohol, illegal drugs, tobacco, firearms/weapons (or the use of any of the foregoing) or a particular political agenda; is obscene or offensive; defames, misrepresents or contains disparaging remarks about other people or companies; communicates messages or images inconsistent with the positive images and/or good will to which we wish to associate; and/or violates any law. We reserve the right to reject any entry, in our sole and absolute discretion, that we determine does not meet the above criteria.
Important note about Copyright: Your entire entry must only include material (including hardware, source code – both open source and third party sourced, user interface, music, video or images) that you own or that you have permission from the copyright/trademark owner to use. Your team’s entry may not include copyrighted materials (such as source code, user interface, background music, images or video) unless you own or have permission to use the materials. Ownership is not defined as purchasing a CD at a music store for replay, if playing a copyrighted recording on your guitar or repurposing an application’s user interface – your entry will be disqualified if copyrighted materials, including but not limited to these examples, are a part of your entry without appropriate licensing or permissions. If you do use permissible copyrighted materials, you must include the permissions information by citing the artist/creator and license information as per the respective Challenge Rules. Note that even material released under sites such as Creative Commons, common open source code licenses, and other similar licensing may need permission or acknowledgement as per the specific license.
Note: your team’s entry will be disqualified if permissions information is not included as per the requirements in the specific Challenge Rules.
HOW WILL MY ENTRY BE POTENTIALLY USED?
Other than what is set forth below, we are not claiming any ownership rights to your entry. However, by submitting your entry, you are: granting us an irrevocable, royalty-free, sub-licensable worldwide right and license to: (i) use, review, assess, test and otherwise analyze your entry and all its content in connection with this Contest; and (ii) feature your entry and all content in connection with the marketing, sale, or promotion of this Contest (including but not limited to internal and external sales meetings, conference presentations, tradeshows, and screen shots of the Contest entry in press releases) in all media (now known or later developed), in perpetuity; agree to sign any necessary documentation that may be required for us and our designees to make use of the rights you granted above; understand and acknowledge that Samsung or a Samsung affiliate may have developed or commissioned materials similar or identical to your submission or may do so in the future independently of and without reference to your submission and you waive any claims you may have resulting from any similarities to your entry; understand that we cannot control the incoming information you will disclose to our representatives in the course of entering, or what our representatives will remember about your entry.
You also understand that we will not restrict work assignments of representatives who have had access to your entry. By entering this Contest, you agree that use of any information provided by you in connection with a submission in our representatives’ unaided memories in the development or deployment of our products or services does not create liability for us under any theory of liability, including, but not limited to, this agreement or copyright or trade secret law; understand that you will not receive any compensation or credit for use of your entry, other than what is described in these Official Rules. Please note that following the end of this Contest your entry may be posted on a website selected by us for viewing by visitors to that website. We are not responsible for any unauthorized use of your entry by visitors to this website. While we reserve these rights, we are not obligated to use your entry for any purpose, even if it has been selected as a winning entry. If you do not want to grant us these rights to your entry, please do not enter this Contest.
Limit one (1) prize per person or team. In the event of a tie between any eligible entries, an additional judge from Samsung will break the tie based on the judging criteria described above. The decisions of the judges are final and binding. If we do not receive a sufficient number of entries meeting the entry requirements, we may, at our discretion, select fewer winners than the number of Contest Prizes described below. If you are a potential winner, we will notify you by sending a message to the e-mail address, the phone number, or mailing address (if any) provided at time of entry within ten (15) days following completion of judging. If the notification that we send is returned as undeliverable, or you are otherwise unreachable for any reason, we may award to a runner-up. If there is a dispute as to who is the potential winner, we will consider the potential winner to be the authorized account holder of the e-mail address used to enter the Contest. If you are a potential winner, we may require you to sign an Affidavit of Eligibility, Liability/Publicity Release and a W-9 tax form or W-8 BEN tax form within 15 days of notification. If you complete a tax form, you will be issued an IRS Form 1099 the following January, for the actual value of the prize. You are advised to seek independent counsel regarding the tax implications of accepting a prize. If you are a potential winner and you are 18 or older, but are considered a minor in your place of legal residence, we may require your parent or legal guardian to sign all required forms on your behalf. If you do not complete the required forms as instructed and/or return the required forms within the period listed on the winner notification message, we may disqualify you and select a runner-up. If you are confirmed as a winner of this Contest: You may not exchange your prize for cash or any other merchandise or services. However, if for any reason an advertised prize is unavailable, we reserve the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value; and you may not designate someone else as the winner. If you are unable or unwilling to accept your prize, we may award it to a runner up; and if you accept a prize, you will be solely responsible for all applicable federal, state, and local taxes related to accepting the prize, although you understand that we reserve the right to withhold a portion of the prize amount to comply with the tax laws of the United States or other applicable jurisdiction; and if you are otherwise eligible for this Contest, but are considered a minor in your place of residence, we may award the prize to your parent/legal guardian on your behalf; and unless otherwise noted, all prizes are subject to their manufacturer’s warranty and / or terms and conditions.
WHAT OTHER CONDITIONS AM I AGREEING TO BY ENTERING?
By entering this Contest you agree to: abide by these Official Rules; and release, indemnify, defend, and hold harmless Hackster.io, Samsung, and their respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, employees and agents (“affiliates”) (collectively, “Released Parties”) from any and all liability or any injury, loss or damage of any kind (including reasonable attorneys’ fees) , including but not limited to negligence and damages of any kind to persons and property, defamation, slander, libel, violation of right of publicity, infringement of trademark, copyright or other intellectual property rights, property damage, or death or personal injury arising from, relating to, or in connection with this Contest, your submission, creation of your submission, participation in this Contest, or your acceptance or use of any prize won (including any travel or activity related thereto), and/or the broadcast, transmission, performance, exploitation or use of your submission as authorized or licensed by these Rules; and that our decisions will be final and binding on all matters related to this Contest; and that, by accepting a prize, we may use your proper name and state of residence online and in print, or in any other media, in connection with this Contest, without payment or compensation to you, except where prohibited by law.
WHAT LAWS GOVERN THE WAY THIS CONTEST IS EXECUTED AND ADMINISTRATED?
This Contest will be governed by the laws of the State of California, and you consent to the exclusive jurisdiction and venue of the courts of the State of Washington for any disputes arising out of this Contest.
WHAT IF SOMETHING UNEXPECTED HAPPENS AND THE CONTEST CAN’T RUN AS PLANNED?
If someone cheats, or a virus, bug, bot, catastrophic event, or any other unforeseen or unexpected event that cannot be reasonably anticipated or controlled, (also referred to as force majeure) affects the fairness and / or integrity of this Contest, we reserve the right to cancel, change or suspend this Contest. This right is reserved whether the event is due to human or technical error. If a solution cannot be found to restore the integrity of the Contest, we reserve the right to select winners from among all eligible entries received before we had to cancel, change or suspend the Contest. If you attempt or we have strong reason to believe that you have compromised the integrity or the legitimate operation of this Contest by cheating, hacking, creating a bot or other automated program, or by committing fraud in ANY way, we may seek damages from you to the fullest extent permitted by law. Further, we may disqualify you, and ban you from participating in any of our future Contests, so please play fairly.
The terms and conditions of these Rules are subject to change at any time, including our rights or obligations. We will post the terms and conditions of the amended Rules on our websites. To the fullest extent permitted by law, any amendment will become effective at the time specified in the posting of the amended Rules or, if no time is specified, the time of posting.
HOW CAN I FIND OUT WHO WON?
A full list of winners will be published on this page by October 16, 2016. This list will remain available until April 2017.